Friday, October 10, 2014

My Stalker: Part 7: Pepper Spray

I've attempted to order via Amazon, however, it's illegal to mail pepper spray in New York State. I contacted the nearest sporting goods store proximal to my office, and they don't sell pepper spray within the city limits.  I'm undaunted, and researching, and if I have to hop the border to New Jersey this weekend to do so, I will, so I can ensure I am as armed for my own protection.

That being said, I found this useful information on the legal-ese of pepper spray in New York State:

"FROM New York State Penal Law Exemption of Weapons Law §265. Sale of "self-defense spray device" Section §265.20 14.Possession in accordance with the provisions of this paragraph of a self-defense spray device as defined herein for the protection of a person or property and use of such self-defense spray device under circumstances which would justify the use of physical force pursuant to article thirty-five of this chapter.
(a) As used in this section "self-defense spray device" shall mean a pocket sized spray device which contains and releases a chemical or organic substance which is intended to produce temporary physical discomfort or disability through being vaporized or otherwise dispensed in the air or any like device containing pepper or similar disabling agent.
(b) The exemption under this paragraph shall not apply to a person who:
(i) is less than eighteen years of age; or
(ii) has been previously convicted in this state of a felony or any assault; or
(iii) has been convicted of a crime outside the state of New York which if committed in New York would constitute a felony or any assault crime."

No comments:

Post a Comment