Thursday, February 20, 2014

The Cast of Characters

This list will be amended on a stream of consciousness basis, as either new personalities present themselves, or when I am finally able to articulate and flesh out (and name) those new personalities).

I've got a few names for my mother's different, unique personalities. And no, I am not suggesting she's like Sybill, the chick with the 17 personalities, like schizoid. Mom's got these different personalities she whips on like a jaunty beret or a festive fedora, to manipulate others into doing what she wants. 

The names I've sketched out thus far:

Pitiful Pearl (and if I had to pick a last name for this character it would be Feeble). 
This character presents itself with a sense of confusion, short of breath, breathy, feeble like talking, like she's in crisis, usually for dramatic effect,  pity, attention, and to get you to do something either she is unwilling or unable to do. Side note:

Audrey
This character is named after the ravenous plant in Little Shop of Horrors. This is the overly demanding narcissistic character. FEED ME, FEED ME NOW, SEYMORE! Hold my hand! I need you here! I need you now! I need you to ABC and XYZ for me NOW, SEYMORE! I need to suck your life blood and marrow from your bones, SEYMORE! Oh you won't let me suck your marrow? Fuck you then! I wish you were never born!

Mike
This persona which pretty much is responsible for nearly every hateful thing she's said without cause or provocation. Usually the insults and vitriol is dispensed either immediately after or WHILE some poor fool is doing her bidding.  (i.e., while my sister is manually disimpacting her, Mike decides right then and there is the right moment to inform my sister how she loves me because I'm her friend (ERRONEOUS!) and loves my brother because he's her baby, and how she loves my sister "because you're my daughter." Um yeah. Perfect timing, while an archeological dig is going on in her ass). I don't have to imagine what it must have been like to have spent 69 years on planet Earth with the knowledge that her father said "the wrong daughter died." I have lived through 45 years worth of damage those words, and many others, have done to destroy us. Remember Reaganomics' trickle down economy? Well do you want to know what else trickles down? ABUSE.

Re: "Mike"  see also: Name of her father.

Note: As with all the above characters, at no time is appreciation expressed with a "Thank You."

House Devil-Street-Angel:
If you, a complete stranger were to meet her, well perhaps 5-10 years ago (and now, not so much, as the veil between how she is to intimates vs how she is to strangers is wearing very thin), you'd be met with a charming, bawdy, borderline socially inappropriate woman. Hilariously inappropriate. Perhaps a smile on her face. Complementary things to be said about others--not her children. But to us, those who know her best, warts and all, to know her intimately, is to know what I can only describe as "unpredictable grief and oggida." She would say the most carelessly cruel things, either to hurt or to be funny. Years ago it was like a slap and a tickle. But four and a half decades of this, it's lost its charm (as if there were any real charm to be claimed). This character typically would save the best parts of her personality for others, for strangers, for acquaintances. Leaving the rest of us, closely related, to lick our wounds in private, stifling our tears, breaking our sense of self worth. 

See also: Mike. Mike was the KING of the House Devil-Street Angel. KING! She learned this behavior from the best. THE BEST.

No comments:

Post a Comment