Tuesday, November 14, 2017

T-6 Days & A Wake Up

Here we are, officially/literally a week away from the date my brother's house gets foreclosed.

Where we left off...

He's still pretty much spinning his wheels. He finally broke down and called me. And it was a conversation that went no where, other than just wallowing and circling the drain. No forward movement. 

He's incapable of doing what he needs to do (focus, power through, even for the short term) to get himself and his thoughts organized enough to do what he needs to do. And no amount of me telling him he needs to get a storage unit and start ferrying his shit THERE is going to matter.

When he called, he was at Walmart getting some bins to pack up some of his trains (see? he should be focusing on essentials, whatever). His goal for the day was to pack those four bins, and at some point during the day, he got himself wound up, and by the time a friend of our sister's arrived (to look at/assess/possibly buy some stuff), my brother's defibrillator was zapping him like a bolt of lightning.

Luckily the friend was there, and he called our sister, who asked him to take our brother to the hospital. Luckily, it wasn't a cardiac event (this time). After a day and a half of being in the hospital, it was discovered the defibrillator needs to be tweaked or calibrated, and was misfiring.

So losing that day and a half puts him even further behind the 8-ball. 

All I can do is sit back and witness what's going on. The list of reasons for my non-involvement are:
  1. Geography--I live too damned far away to commit to helping him without putting a strain on myself and my household, monopolizing our household's only car for this purpose;
  2. The fact that in 1998 when my life imploded, the only time my brother "helped" me, was when and if I were able to PAY him for his time;
  3.  The fact he's got a baseline of hostility, in a general sense;
  4. The fact he possesses all the negative characteristics of both parents, that he's lazy and complacent, and easily overwhelmed, and pretty much thinks either he's going to hit rock bottom or perhaps someone will save him, because both of our parents did nothing in the way of preparing ANY OF US with any real life skills like COPING. 
  5. He hasn't asked me for my help. 
Will he have a fatal heart attack?
Will my sister?
Will he go out in a blaze of misguided glory in a murder-suicide? 

Who knows. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment