Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Still Waiting for the Other Shoe to Drop

Cliffnotes:
Besides getting no reply to my text "Hey how was mom's bday party?" Which was met with sis texting me a pic, I've received precisely one phone call. Well, perhaps several, but it doesn't count unless or until we actually TALK. She calls, doesn't bother leaving a voicemail. And I cannot be bothered to take the bait and break down and call to find out, "You called?" I text that, which of course, goes without reply. So she just keeps calling over the span of a week until I answer my phone. She has zero awareness that she's doing precisely what mom does, her loathesome game of "telephone."

Sis calls. Tells me she's done. And tells me that my brother and I can sort it out. She and her husband are stretched to their limits (a trap of their own design, by the way). Implications were made that she's doing this on my behalf, which of course were met with me reminding her that she's not doing what she's doing FOR ME, but FOR MOM. I wouldn't put my sister in that type of position.  Bottom line? She's fried. Justifiably so, but again, she wouldn't be, if she put up reasonable, healthy boundaries. Mom calls 30X a day? Sis answers 10, which I feel is still too many. It's exhausting for me to even know this. I don't have to imagine ho exhausting it is to live it.

So I follow up our chat with an email reminding her that there is such a thing as filing a petition for conservatorship, and that if no one in the family is willing or able to do so, a judge can appoint a conservator to oversee mom's finances and care. 

And of course! OF COURSE! That rational, sane suggestion is met with silence. I made the suggestion she speak with her priest to find out if she can recommend any attorneys that specialize in elder law. It's been a week, and I'm just getting radio silence.  

No comments:

Post a Comment