Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Inner Dialogue: Part Deux

  "How you speak to your children becomes their inner voice." 

I suppose this might be a continuing feature on this blog, given the abundance of material presented to me in my 44 years on this planet.

One of my earliest memories which involve mom's "destructive" nature, involves me and my siblings. Sis and I are about 18 months apart, and sis and brother are "Irish Twins," and 13 months apart. So we were all "little" at the same time.

I recall an outing at an aunt's house. We were playing, "being kids," and perhaps a bit loud. I don't recall anything excessive that day. No possessions broken or big fights getting into. Perhaps we were playing loudly, rowdy. Who knows.

I remember vividly our mother sitting us all down, with a scowl on her face, and informing us ow how we disappointed her, however, didn't just stop there.

"YOU!" (me) "You were a condom that never was!" (Dad alleged early on in their marriage he might be sterile as he had the mumps as a kid. Obviously an incorrect assumption.) Note: My age, approximately 7 or 8.

"YOU!" (baby brother) "You were a diaphragm that didn't work!" Brother's age: 4 or 5.

"AND YOU!" (sis) "You were the ONLY ONE I wanted, AND LOOK AT WHAT I GOT!" (Sis' age 6 or 7).

As I've stated before in a previous entry, I really have no interest on "being there" moments before she "meets her maker," however, if I do happen to be there, I do hope I have the presence of mind before her brain totally flat lines, to whisper in her ear "You did not destroy me. I am loved. And I am happy. Good luck in the next life." or perhaps something more succinct like, "If we ever meet again, remember, I tried to love you." 

No comments:

Post a Comment