Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Having the Emotional Depth of a Dewdrop

I believe the author of Children of the Self-Absorbed put it best about having a self-absorbed, narcissistic destructive parent, that they have the emotional depth of a dewdrop. Sums up my mom so succinctly.

Telephone time out is still in full effect, however, the endless spate of forwarded chain emails to me have rendered ZERO response from me to her, she broke down and emailed me last night. And I decided to blast her with a big honkin' dose of reality.

(Read from the bottom upwards.)
Mom's single word reply to me:

crazy

From: Me
Subject: RE:
To: Mom
Date: Tuesday, July 2, 2013, 3:21 AM

Too much going on. First a thyroid cancer scare. Surgery scheduled for 7/23 assuming my consult w/pulmonologist clears me. Have a spot on the lung. They call it a granuloma.  Consult w/pulmonologist is 7/8. Not much to talk about. Work and doc appts. On top of this a good friend has been diagnosed with stage four squamous cell carcinoma. So hurry up and wait (for us). Hope you're well and staying cool.

-------- Original message --------
From: Mom
Date: 07/01/2013 12:46 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: Me
Subject:

well this is July when is your surgery? you've made yourself such a stranger. I'm always asking your sister and brother if they heard from you...Be well
Gotta love the insistence that I'm "such a stranger," when she is the one who refuses to pick up the phone. I refuse to pick up the phone, because, let's recap, I DID JUST THAT about a month ago, and she was cold and distant and bitchy to me. So if she wants to be cold and distant and bitchy to me, verbally? She needs to exert her fingers and dial the phone herself.

Also, "crazy?" Yeah. I tell you I had a cancer scare, I have a spot on my lung, and a dear friend has STAGE FOUR SQUAMOUS CELL CARCINOMA, the very cancer that destroyed YOUR MOTHER, and all you can muster up is CRAZY? FUCK YOU! 

Side note: While normally, I prefer NOT telling my mother things, I did this DUMPTRUCK maneuver two fold, to shut her the fuck down (like she just did with the succinct, "crazy,") and also she will no doubt go into Pitiful Pearl ZOMG mode, and whine to my aunt and my sister about "Did you know about the thyroid thing?" And perhaps, JUST PERHAPS, it might remind them, "OH YEAH... " So it's OBLIQUE at best, but my way of letting them know that I KNOW how they failed me.  And in the end, it's not going to matter one iota. I mean, really. Our relationship at this point is primarily just genetic and peripheral at best at this point. 

FUCK THEM.

No comments:

Post a Comment